Urca Fishing Boats

This is definitely a rainy season. Another break after several rainy days and there I went to paint in Urca. I had done a small sketch of this composition last week and I decided to do it in a larger format,this time a vertical one. I wanted the mountain, the Yatch Club and the bridge. The boats would be the stars.
These old boats are very charming and Corcovado mountain is a perfect background for this scene.
After setting up my painting gear, I started organizing the compositional elements on canvas looking for a better harmony of shapes.
Soon I realized that I wouldn´t have time for a detailed drawing as, despite a beautiful sunlight bathing the boats, there was a curtain of clouds starting to cover the mountain.


If I wanted to stick to my original plan I would have to work fast, so I decided for a more direct way, brush and paint, painting and drawing at the same time, adjusting shapes, colors and values. It was as if the mountain were playing hide-and-seek, clouds come and going, challenging my ability to capture the best moment to register on canvas.

I knew I wouldn´t finish this work in one session, but I was determined to go as far as I could until light changed too much. I was lucky, it didn´t rain.

Fortunatelly the next day the whether condition was the same and although the hide-and-seek continued , I could go on painting.

Last 2008 painting:
Urca Fishing Boats - oil on linen canvas 90cm x 50cm Sandra Nunes

Posted bySandra Nunes at 8:27 PM  

2 comments:

Yelloweesa said... March 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM  

Lindo esse quadro! Parabéns!

Sandra Nunes said... March 22, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

Olá Helô,
Obrigada pela visita e por seu gentil comentário. Que bom que você gostou!
beijos

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru